On Oct 17, 2008, at 4:21 AM, Ralph Droms wrote:
1. Is the following text an accurate summary of the previous IETF
consensus on the definition and use of M/O bits:

  The M/O flags indicate the availability of DHCPv6 service for
  address assignment and other configuration information,
  respectively.  The IPv6 specifications make no requirements on the
  behavior of DHCPv6 clients in response to the values of the M/O
  flags received in RAs.

It seems like it is, yes.

2. Does the IETF choose to continue to accept this consensus or should
the definition of client behavior in response to the M/O flags be
revisited?

I think the current spec is vague, and therefore harmful to interoperability. So I'd like the IETF to consider changing it.

2. NO: How does the IETF want to change this consensus and how should
the
change process be conducted?

   There have been some suggestions for changes to the current
consensus
   behavior:

* Deprecate the M/O flags; require that future DHCPv6 clients ignore
  the M/O flags; require that routers send RAs with M/O flags set to 1

This would be my preference.

* Revert to previous definitions and behaviors in RFC 286*

I think this is a bad idea, but if the consensus is to go this way then we need to tweak what is said in the old RFCs, because what they said still wasn't very helpful.

* draft-cha-ipv6-ra-mo-00.txt

I think this draft nicely summarizes the problem, but that the proposed solution isn't ready for prime time.