On 17 okt 2008, at 22:54, Bernie Volz (volz) wrote:

In my view, I believe encouraging implementers to use the M & O bits is a good thing (the RFC 2462 "should") but a client's local policy should
be able to override that (always on, never on, or "use M&O" if
possible).

Fully agree. However:

What client vendors ship the default as is up to them as it
depends on the target customer/market.

Disagree with that. We've seen in the past that if a large vendor enables some kind of automatic behavior that's undesired in some situations, it's pretty much impossible to clean this up unless you're talking about highly managed environments. (See all the trouble that Windows dynamic DNS updates can cause.)

If the default isn't to respect the M/O bits, then:

I fear without this encouragement that the bits would eventually become
completely useless and thus effectively deprecated.