At Tue, 14 Oct 2008 07:48:32 +0300 (EEST),
Pekka Savola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't see why M/O bits would need to be completely deprecated (they
> could still be hints about what should be available in the network).
>
> I've yet to see a DHCPv6 client implementation that would listen to
> the flags in RA and conditionally start or stop the service depending
> of the presence of flags there.  It's more complex to implement and to
> operate reliably. But granted I haven't done an extensive survey; I'd
> be interested in knowing how existing implementations operate.

Just FYI, KAME's "router solicitation daemon" has an ability to invoke
a specified program (which is expected to be a DHCPv6 client) when it
sees the O flag of RA change from false to true.  It's incorporated
into (at least) FreeBSD.  It doesn't support the M flag, though.

I generally agree with your other points, specifically,

- implementors will tend to ignore these flags even if a new spec
  prohibits DHCPv6 invocation more strongly when M/O bits because that
  *may* help if a DHCPv6 server happens to be there (they'd rather
  avoid the situation where configuration fails simply because the M/O
  bits are off)
- 802.11 airtime issue is not convincing enough, at least without
  concrete numbers to prove its severity, to discourage such tendency
  of implementors.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.