On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Thomas Narten wrote:
1) We could ignore/deprecate the M&O bits and simply have any
  client that implements DHCP invoke DHCP without even bothering to
  see what the M&O flags say. I.e, the way DHCPv4 works today.

  IMO, this approach would work fine. Indeed, it has the advantage
  that the client won't do the wrong thing due to misconfigured
  routers sending out M&O bits with the wrong setting. The main
  downside is that operators would have no way of signalling to
  clients that DHCP isn't available and they shouldn't waste
  resources trying to invoke it. In the past, there has been
  endless(?) debate about how significant the "waste" would be.

I don't see why M/O bits would need to be completely deprecated (they could still be hints about what should be available in the network).

I've yet to see a DHCPv6 client implementation that would listen to the flags in RA and conditionally start or stop the service depending of the presence of flags there. It's more complex to implement and to operate reliably. But granted I haven't done an extensive survey; I'd be interested in knowing how existing implementations operate.

So I believe we're kidding ourselves if we think the DHCPv6 client software writers and operating system SW engineers trying to figure out a most reliable way to use DHCPv6 wouldn't start DHCPv6 client automatically under every scenario, no matter the flags. These implementations are not going to change no matter what we write in the RFCs.

I don't believe the concern about wasting 802.11 airtime or other bandwidth is severe enough in those peoples' (or my) mind that it would justify the necessary complexity. There's a lot of other junk that hosts spew out anyway (e.g. some won't like similar Bonjour multicasts). If this is truly a problem, we could try to figure out solutions for that, e.g. by tweaking the retransmissions or giving operational guidance for filtering in switches / access points.