On 14 okt 2008, at 18:45, Pekka Savola wrote:

The reality is that most implementors will just ignore anything the spec says they don't like or consider unnecessary in the scenarios they have in mind. As long as their code interoperates (in those specific scenarios) with other major implementations, most couldn't care less.

Not sure what the point of this argument is, unless you mean to say that we should all find better things to do with our time than participating in the IETF.

If writing a spec is presumed useful it has to be a good spec. The IETF writes specifications, not laws, for better or worse.