On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 03:10:06PM +0800, Kadirvel Chockalingam Vanniarajan
wrote:
> 1) Is there a way for a IPv6 client to distinguish between a authoritative RA
> vs non-authoritative RA? I guess not but I may be wrong. I refer to an
> unauthorized host sending out RA to be non-authoritative RA.

There isn't.  In DHCPv4 operations, most operators implement link
layer filters, where the potential for nefarious peers on the switch
fabric is possible.  Server-replies come only from servers with these
filters.

A similar method is required with RA, and currently with DHCP (but
some of us think we know how we can put an end to that).  There is a
subtle difference; DHCP filters are just UDP port limitations.  RA
filters have to peer into ND packet fields.

In the balance, this factor makes IPv6 suck equally to IPv4.

> 2) In an enterprise-level deployments, IPv6 deployments will typically happen
> on top of existing subnet segmentation which was driven by IPv4 subnet
> logistics. If this being the case, expecting RA to be configured by the
> network administrator on each one of the routers sounds to be a management
> nightmare.

You are correct.  There are people that configure end-hosts, the
helpdesk, the Unix sysadmins presiding over large clusters, and there
are router operators.  They are, today, organized in different groups
reporting to different directors in most network companies.

These groups don't generally communicate well.  In many companies,
they often share a kind of rivalry.  RA creates a new organization
model where two groups are partially responsible for host
configuration.  I can only imagine what their internal customers
will feel, as each will no doubt point fingers at the other.  The end
result is increased support costs, even if they create new structures
of unified staff.

In the balance, this factor makes IPv6 suck more than IPv4.

> 3) RA-based address assignment is typically meant for scenarios over fewer
> subnets (like public hotspots/ISPs?) wherein requiring another infrastructure
> server (like DHCPv6 stateful server) will be a overkill.

I think public hotspots/ISPs are out of scope for RA.  The only
environ I can conceive it might be used is in a simple unmanaged dual
stack home or meeting network; where DHCPv4 can cross the bridge to
complete the client's configuration, and where the network is itself
identifying a single home-user, or temporary and so the potential for
abuse is limited.

The simple reason is that even public hotspots or ISPs need to be able
to respond to abuse complaints, or else they will be observed as being
'safe harbors' for criminals, and people will not peer or give them
transit, to reduce their own costs responding to abuse complaints.

This maybe won't be a problem until after blackhats start using IPv6
for attacks.

In the balance, and combined with the lack of DHCPv6 deployment, this
factor makes IPv6 suck more than IPv4.

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?  https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/