Hi John,

On 11/17/08 9:10 AM, "John Loughney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Pekka,
>
>> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Daniel Park wrote:
>>> I would make a minor change according to the valuable comments from
>>> the WiMAX expert:
>>>
>>> There are two ways to transfer IPv6 over WiMAX:
>>> - IPv6 over WiMAX using IPCS: RFC5121
>>> - IPv6 over Ethernet carried over WiMAX: AD Evaluation (ID Status)
>>>
>>> So.
>>>
>>> 4.X IP version 6 over WiMAX - RFC 5121
>>>
>>> Nodes supporting IPv6 via IPCS over WiMAX networks MUST implement
>>>
>>> "Transmission of IPv6 via the IPv6 Convergence Sublayer over IEEE
>>> 802.16 Networks" [RFC 5121].
>>
>> This is almost like a tautology.  What use is having this kind
>> of statements in an RFC?  If someone needs to implement IPv6
>> using IP convergence Sublayer on a WIMAX network and already
>> knows of RFCs, (s)he can certainly find the RFC without such a
>> reference here.
>>
>> A statement is much more useful if it actually conveys some
>> new information.  Such as providing guidance (or links to
>> guidance) on when one should choose WiMAX using IPCS or
>> Ethernet-adapation, or possibly some third (or fourth) option.
>
> That makes sense, we should add more text to provide more guidence here.

WiMAX forum specifications and documents provide sufficient information
about when to use IPCS or Eth CS. Mobile WiMAX networks in general rely on
IPCS. I don't think that this document should be providing guidance on when
to use IPCS vs Eth CS vs GPCS. It is better to simply provide the
appropriate reference to WMF documents.

>> I'll note that while the current node requirements lists some
>> IPv6 L2 adaptation mechanisms, the list is not complete, and I
>> don't think it needs to be complete.
>
> I agree it does not make sense, we should list support for major L2s
> that the working group is interested in.
>
> That being said, does the working group consider IPCS support an
> important consideration for IPv6?

I don't know if the IPv6 WG would care too much about IPCS. After all IPCS
is specified by IEEE 802.16. The point is that in Mobile WiMAX IPCS is used
for IPv4 and IPv6. Having a reference to Mobile WiMAX and the use of IPCS
for IPv6 transmission in those networks is useful.

-Raj