On 29 jul 2009, at 14:02, Dino Farinacci wrote:

From a practical perspective, we prefer that a LISP encapsulator (ITR and PTR) not incurred additional work when encapsulating packets. The main LISP spec indicates:

(1) The UDP checksum in the outer header MUST be set to 0 by an encapsulator.
(2) The decapsulator MUST ignore the UDP checksum.

We stand by this text and see no reason to change it.

Others, please note that this is orthogonal to the discussion at hand, as LISP packets will not go to unsuspecting IPv6 hosts, while with the help of a translator, legal-but-ill-advised IPv4 packets with UDP payload without a checksum will.