On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 5:52 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum<iljit...@muada.com> wrote:
> On 5 aug 2009, at 19:34, Christopher Morrow wrote:
>
>> You may see 2-3 year cycle on new asics for this feature to appear...
>> given 1-2 years for haggling/bugs/blah it's safe to say 3-5 yrs before
>> hardware is on the shelf to purchase.
>
> You assume this requires new hardware. Although that's not inconceivable, I
> would think that in most cases a software or microcode update would be
> sufficient.

I look forward to your microcode update ... I'm not sure that
classifiers (on juniper or cisco devices) that work at 40g+ are going
to be microcode upgradable. My point is that just saying: "Well, now
use X. See all fixed!" isn't reality. There is atleast a 3-5 year lag.

>> 'flow label bits alone make a poor material for a hash key'... isn't
>> this the reverse of saying that we'll (operators) require vendors to
>> use flow-label for hashing on ECMP/LAG? If so, then... I don't think
>> flow-label's going to cut it.
>
> Huh?

brian sufficiently cleared up the wording/reasoning.

> By the way, if we want good load balancing in IPv6 it's always possible to
> use more source/destination address pairs, as addresses are cheap in IPv6.

awesome, how do I do that dynamically and on-demand? you're imposing a
restriction on the end users in order to fix this core problem,
outside of LISP I mean, I'm not sure that's going to work out either
(shifting costs and such).

-chris