On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Margaret Wasserman<m...@sandstorm.net> wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2009, at 2:54 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
>>
>> What was the original reason for removing the ability to do zero
>> checksums on udp in v6? Are we sure that that decision is still
>> sensible/appropriate in today's internet/world?
>
> I have not been around long enough to have been there when that decision was
> made. However, it has been revisited several times, so I've heard the
> re-hashed reasons...
>
> The removal of the IPv6 header checksum was done so that routers would not
> have to updated it on a hop-by-hop basis when they changed the IP TTL.
>  Also, the IP header checksum calculation was seen as redundant for most
> traffic (TCP and UDP with checksums enabled), and people wanted to avoid the
> extra processing.

The 'extra processing' is done today in v4 though, right? and
apparently not a huge problem for routers even at line-rate 10/40G?

> However, there was concern that the removal of the IP header checksum in
> IPv6 would lessen the protection of the source/destination IP addresses and
> result in a significant (a multiplier of ~32,000) increase in the number of
> times that a UDP packet was accidentally delivered to the wrong destination
> address and/or apparently sourced from the wrong source address when UDP
> checksums were set to zero -- at the time there were vendors who shipped
> their IP stacks with UDP checksums turned off by default.  There was concern
> that this would result in misdelivery of data to UDP applications (dropped

Does this happen today with any appreciable frequency? (on packets
without udp checksum, say that come from edonkey/emule or other
sources of zero/no checksum on udp)

> connections or even corrupted data -- we all saw this when NFS data was
> corrupted on the wire), in replies sent to nodes that didn't send a request
> (perhaps interrupting valid exchanges), and/or in ICMP errors sent to nodes
> that didn't send the packet that generated the error (perhaps resulting in
> dropped communications or unintelligible user errors).

This I don't recall at all... I think part of my question is we (as a
group) are assuming that the reasons for requiring ipv6 udp checksums
as stated +10 years ago are still valid, I don't see data supporting
that fact.

-Chris