On Aug 5, 2009, at 3:55 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:

This I don't recall at all... I think part of my question is we (as a
group) are assuming that the reasons for requiring ipv6 udp checksums
as stated +10 years ago are still valid, I don't see data supporting
that fact.

There are some classic papers on this topic. The most recent I could find is from 2000:

http://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2000/conf/abstract/9-1.htm

In a quick re-read of this paper, I didn't see anything that is obviously dated about it. So, I'd assume its error rates and analysis are still pertinent, unless there is a more recent study that says otherwise.

Margaret