On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Margaret Wasserman<m...@sandstorm.net> wrote:

> Hi Shane,
>
> On Aug 5, 2009, at 12:50 PM, Shane Amante wrote:
>>
>> To bring this back up a level, while it's /possible/ to encourage vendors
>> to adopt the IPv6 flow-label as input-keys to their hash-calculations for
>> LAG/ECMP, it takes [a lot] of time to see that materialize in the field.
>>  Practically, you're probably looking at somewhere between, at best, a 3  -
>> 5 year window, before it will actually appear in live, production networks,
>> given that it has to be prioritized for development at the vendor, tested,
>> released in software, then re-tested by the SP and, finally, deployed.
>>  That's not an "easy" process that happens in the blink-of-an-eye.  That's
>> not to say that we (SP's) should not "encourage" vendors to do this, anyway,
>> (we are/will) however if LISP (or other protocols like it that depend on
>> tunneling) quickly gain traction, we need a way to deal with these traffic
>> flows in our networks today, without telling customers: "turn off protocol
>> <FOO>, because we can't deliver your packets".
>
> ECMP of LISP flows is an optimization that only matters when there is a
> large amount of LISP traffic, right?  Do you think there is a reasonable
> chance that LISP would be widely-enough to deployed to require this
> optimization in less than 3-to-5 years?

in the extreme it's only needed for +1g flows, but there are lots of
places where this may be necessary across smaller links ecmp'd
together... Planning for no ECMP is not a plan that's sensible. There
must be a way to sensibly hash traffic across more than one path in a
network (not just local ecmp on a single LAG or set of links, think
about multple lsp's between 2 distant endpoints).

>> Perhaps one way to satisfy the parties in this conversation would be
>> something along the following lines:
>> - LISP, and other protocols that wish to use tunneling, adopt UDP-lite (or
>> UDP w/ 0 checksums) as a MUST for near-term deployment;
>> - LISP, and other protocols that wish to use tunneling, adopt IP-in-IPv6
>> tunneling with a flow-label required in the outer IPv6 header as a "SHOULD"
>> for medium- to long-term deployments.
>> ... assuming vendors successfully adopt the IPv6 flow-label as input-keys
>> in their hash calculations at some point in the future, we come back and
>> deprecate the UDP/IPv6 tunnel method and elevate IP-in-IPv6 w/ flow-labels
>> to a MUST.
>
> I would agree to this statement if one of two things were to happen:  (1) we
> were to remove "(or UDP w/0 checksums) -- making UDP-Lite a MUST in the near

What was the original reason for removing the ability to do zero
checksums on udp in v6? Are we sure that that decision is still
sensible/appropriate in today's internet/world?

-Chris