On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Sam Hartman<hartmans-i...@mit.edu> wrote:
>    Shane> With respect to #2, SP's have been mandating that they only
>    Shane> buy v6- capable HW for the last /several years/ as part of
>    Shane> the normal growth/ replacement cycle of network equipment.
>    Shane> So, yes, this equipment should scale to support v6 traffic
>    Shane> at the same, (or nearly the same), rates as v4 traffic
>    Shane> today.
>
> I don't see how this follows at all.  I can sell you a box that
> supports V6 and that provides much lower performance for V6 than V4,
> but that still meets your requirement of supporting V6.
>
> You may be trying to tell me that SP's are unwilling to buy such boxes
> and explicitly want boxes where V6 and V4 performance is the same.  If

an SP can't know a-priori what protocol traffic is using on a transit
device (presuming it supports both popular protocols of course). So,
the only viable answer for an SP today who has dual-stacked their
network is to demand performance parity.

(which I think all large sp's are doing, which is one of the reasons
that large SP deployments of v6 aren't moving along at a pace that
some folks want. There are still significant numbers of devices not
capable of doing line-rate v6 forwarding.)

-chris