From: Mark Smith [mailto:i...@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org]
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 2:16 PM
To: Fortune HUANG
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Question about SLAAC: how the host determines the
prefixesallocated from different prefix pools

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 10:31:46 +0800
Fortune HUANG <fqhu...@huawei.com> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> I think it should be read like this:
> Some options would be extended from DHCPv6 to RA, and all those
> extensions might be in a single draft.

Some or all of the DHCPv6 options doesn't matter - it's duplicating existing
functionality, with no evidence that the existing functionality doesn't work
or is unacceptably inefficient. In all the recent discussion regarding the
supposed "inadequacies" of DHCPv6, the best people seem to have come up with
is "I don't like it". There has been no "we tried to deploy it, but we had
this problem, and we see RA
DHCPv6 options to be the only solution", or, "on our embedded platform with
X KB of RAM, we couldn't fit a stateless DHCPv6 client". In other words, I
think the people who want to add these sorts of options into RAs are
obligated to prove, not just hypothesise, that existing methods aren't
adequate.

I have great concerns that reinventing how end-nodes are configured, (and
that is what putting DHCPv6 options in RAs is), is only going to further
create yet another reason for people to delay deploying IPv6.

I'm working on a deployment of IPv6 to 100K+ ADSL residential subscribers.
If there is any introduced doubt or confusion at this point in time as to
the methods and machanims will be used to provision end-nodes, then it is
safer for organisations like the one I'm working with to halt their
deployments until there is a clear and single direction. I don't want to
have to be in the position to recommend stopping deployment, yet I'll have
to if I think that organisations I work with are about to go to a great
expense to deploy services and supporting infrastructure that will be
obsolete in only a few years time.

As a protocol, IPv6 is supposed to ready to be deployed, and I broadly think
it is - all the functions required to provision commercial residential IPv6
services are specified and code exists. The "rough consensus and running
code" threshold has been met. People may feel the need to "tweak" it,
however I don't think they realise the hidden and significant costs those
"tweaks" will create to existing and near future deployments, including the
possibility of causing those deployments to stop.

Have a think about the following post, regarding detecting rogue DNS server
addresses or rogue DNS domains in rogue RAs, and then consider that the same
problem will occur with any and all other options that may be added to RAs.
Bear in mind that the devices are intended to do rouge RA detection are
layer 2 devices. Think about how hard it is for a layer 2 device to inspect
a packet type verses inspecting the values of options (that may or may not
be present) for validity. Think about the question of whether it be
acceptable to upgrade the firmware in all layer 2 devices every time a new
RA option is defined, and whether it is reasonable to have to configure all
layer 2 switches with all the values for RA options so they can inspect them
for validity.

http://www.ops.ietf.org/lists/v6ops/v6ops.2010/msg00756.html

Regards,
Mark.