Hi Brian,

On 10-08-04 03:21 PM, Brian Haberman wrote:
Suresh,

On 8/4/10 2:46 PM, Suresh Krishnan wrote:
Not really. The text you quoted does not state whether "::" MUST always
be used if it is possible to do so. It only states that when used, it
must be used to the maximum capability.

I disagree.  The rule plainly states that "::" must be used to its
maximum capability.  I view that as saying you must use it if it is at
all possible AND use it where it creates the highest level of
compression.  I don't see any wiggle room in the rule to allow someone
to not use "::" when it can be applied.

Since we are reading the same text and coming up with different conclusions, I would argue that the text needs tightening. In fact this issue came up because of a post to the IPv6 mailing list by Brett Tate in April asking the exact same question.

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg11684.html

The exact question he asked was

"Concerning "::" usage, is the requirement that
1) "::" MUST be used when valid, or
2) only that if used, it MUST be used to its maximum capability?"

Cheers
Suresh