Shane,

-----Original Message-----
From: Shane Amante [mailto:sh...@castlepoint.net]
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:35 PM
To: Hemant Singh (shemant)
Cc: sth...@nethelp.no; adur...@juniper.net;
dtha...@wollive.windowsmedia.com.akadns.net; ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: 6man discussion on /127 document @ IETF78

>Hemant,

>We don't statically configure, (nor would we even consider doing so),
default routes or want "hidden" default routes in our Core routers.  If
those default routes are installed into the FIB of the >routers,
(intentionally or accidentally during "implementation" of your
proposal), it would have substantial negative repercussions on our
operations, namely traffic forwarding loops (whee!) in our >network that
would likely cause congestion, etc.  Furthermore, there are way too many
'hidden' configurations/nuances inside every router vendor's
implementation that I don't want to keep track of >another one ...

>Please, as an operator, I really just want IPv6 /127's to be as KISS as
/31's are in IPv4.

I agree that simple is always desirable.  We are just discussing
internals of a router so that one gets around the genuine problems
raised with /127 which is to not have the router start anycast
forwarding on an interface configured with a /127.  As for the routing
loop, let's see the cases when routers are configured for a global /127
address.  Router A sends a packet destined to Router B in a p-p network
between the routers.  The packet gets sent out Router A and Router B
terminates/consumes this packet since the packet is destined to B.
Likewise for B sending to A.  The only other case is when A sends a
packet to B where the packet destination is not B but C, so the router B
looks up the routing table and finds a route to C and ships the packet
out the interface that the routing table found to egress on.  Only if
router B does not have a route to C and then the router has no choice
but to use the default route, then a loop situation arises, but then see
ICMPv6 in RFC 4443 that has defined Code 3 for such a point-to-point
link error.

Hemant