From: ipv6-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:ipv6-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of
Wojciech Dec
Sent: August-26-10 4:19 AM
To: Suresh Krishnan
Subject: Re: RS Lost failure scenario (Was Re: Consensus call on
adopting:draft-krishnan-6man-rs-mark-06.txt)

On 26 August 2010 00:47, Suresh Krishnan
<suresh.krish...@ericsson.com<mailto:suresh.krish...@ericsson.com>> wrote:
Hi Woj,

I think this is the basis of our disagreement. There are no assumptions that
this document is making. There are usage scenarios not involving the mechanism
proposed in this document that are relevant to this issue you are bringing up.

Indeed, this seems to be the base of the current misunderstanding. Based on the
available information, the intent of the rs-mark mechanism is to use the
additional line-id information at/by the edge-router to selectively assign a
*different* IP prefix to each subscriber (where subscriber = one or more IPv6
end-devices behind a given Line-id). This has been corroborated by statements
made on the thread.
Based on all this, one can currently conclude that that such end-devices will
*only* obtain valid IP addressing info *after* they send an RS, and then
receive a response by means of a unicast RA, not at any time before before. The
latter aspect has been confirmed by the presence of periodic PIO-less multicast
RAs in the scheme.
Hence, I come to ask: Suppose an end-device time-outs in sending RSes before
getting an RA in response. How does a context relying on the rs-mark scheme
deal with this case? If the answer is "it uses PIO-less multicast RAs", then it
does not appear to be enough (based on RFC 4861 not mandating hosts to respond
to RAs). Alternatively, what assumptions are you going by (eg. a special type
of IPv6 end-device? a plan to modify rfc4861? other?)? IMO such assumptions
need to be documented

Let's say the mechanism proposed in this draft did not exist in either the IETF
or BBF. Does the problem of the lost RSs exist? I contend that it does. What do
you say? Unless we have a common view on this, I do not think we can agree on a
resolution.

I certainly agree with you that RS losses and/or timeout issues are not unique
to the rs-mark usage context, but unlike in the traditional case, where
periodically sent multicast RAs would contain a PIO allowing an end-device to
acquire an address, here I don't see how recovery from such issues takes place.
The result appears to be end devices having no IPv6 connectivity, which I'm
sure you agree is not a good thing.
In other words, the RS lost/timeout problem appears to be particularly severe
in its consequences when used with what the RS-mark mechanism says it is
intended for.

Thanks,
Woj.

Thanks