> Now, operators wanted to offer IPv6 service.  I hope we think that is a
> good thing.  For residential, they looked at what they could count on
> from the hosts.  And some of them concluded that they could not count on
> DHCP, so they designed an architecture around SLAAC.  In other words,
> they ddi what we told them to do.

On the other hand, some operators have concluded that RA/SLAAC is simply
insufficient. Currently, they need to use RA plus some other mechanism
(for instance DHCP) - but they would *prefer* to use only one mechanism.

Currently, SLAAC/RA alone cannot supply all the necessary parameters
- but  people seem to want to put more and more into RA/SLAAC. That
would be fine by me *if* we can also have a full featured DHCP which
can operate without RA. Yes, I know there's strong political/religious
resistance to doing this - but I believe this is where we're headed...

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sth...@nethelp.no