On Sep 9, 2010, at 9:48 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2010, Fred Baker wrote:
>> Does that solve all problems? obviously not. It does limit the impact of
>> certain classes of attacks. IP Source Guard, a feature from my company and
>> also from some others, is essentially the same thing for IPv4, and appears
>> to be popular in certain quarters.
>
> Exactly. DHCPv4 inspection, forced-forwarding etc, all these make IPv4
> deployable in low-cost L2 switch environment. This is the reason the same
> ISPs deploying the above would like to run completely without RAs (or at
> least block RAs from all customer ports) and rely completely on DHCPv6 for
> address hand-out, because then the L2 device can inspect this and implement
> filters.

In context, you might want to read

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-savi-dhcp
  "SAVI Solution for DHCP", Jun Bi, Jianping Wu, Guang Yao, Fred Baker,
  7-Sep-10

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-savi-fcfs
  "FCFS-SAVI: First-Come First-Serve Source-Address Validation for Locally
  Assigned Addresses", Erik Nordmark, Marcelo Bagnulo, Eric Levy-Abegnoli,
  12-Jul-10

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-savi-send
  "SEND-based Source-Address Validation Implementation", Marcelo Bagnulo,
  Alberto Garcia-Martinez, 13-May-10

We're not limited to controlling a host to a DHCP-assigned address; we can also
observe the device's behavior and protect addresses it allocates using SLAAC
and SEND.