On 9/8/2010 11:25 AM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
The question of whether DHCP should be used to supplement SLAAC< when
SLAAC is used for address assignment, woudl seem to be a separate
question.

I think that's part of what the WG needs to decide, which is why I (and now others) have voiced an opinion about it.

In, for example, the SAVI work, we have been told repeatedly
by folks deploying IPv6 that they have to be able to use SLAAC for
address assignment. I have not tried to survey the equipment. Rather, I
am trying to provide the various operators with solutions that meet
their reported needs.

Sometimes what people think they want is not what they really need. Any good project manager knows that. :)

To respond here to one of Doug's comments, if 5% of the hsots can not
use DHCP, then for most operators that would make DHCP address
assignment a non-starter. Having 5% of your customers fail, and probably
consume large amounts of support time figuring out why they failed, is
simply not workable.

You're begging the question. I asked for examples, which if they exist might alter my opinion. But you have to find the examples first.

Doug

                        -- Propellerheads