On Thu, 9 Sep 2010, Fred Baker wrote:

BTW, let me ask a question that came up recently "back at the ranch".

To be really honest, I don't understand what the question is in the text you wrote.

But if I understood correctly DHCPv6 derived values would be used to populate IP/MAC tables instead of actually using ND. I think this is an excellent idea for ISP<->customer links, and I would also like to see packets droppped if the IP/MAC combination doesn't match (which your text indicated was the idea).

Basically today if we were to deploy IPv6 in ETTH, I'd imagine RA being used to advertise routing. We would filter RAs from customers. We would not advertise a prefix on-link, so all traffic between customers would be going thru the ISP router, and we would hand out adresses/prefix via DHCPv6(-PD). We would need L2 switches involved to understand all these mechanisms and enforce this policy as they do L2 switching.

That is the closest thing I've been able to come up with in IPv6-land that matches what we already do in IPv4-land.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se