Le 10 sept. 2010 à 15:18, Pascal Thubert (pthubert) a écrit :

> Hi Brian and Rémi:
>
> This set of rules recognizes that the flow label can be overridden to be used
> locally in a network according to the rules and policies that apply to this
> network. I'm all for it.

> OTOH, the proposal assumes that the rules in place in that network are
> necessarily related to load balancing. There I have to disagree.

That's where there is a problem.
If an intermediate network modifies the FL for a different purpose, and doesn't
restore it at its exit, then downstream networks can no longer use FLs for load
balancing as currently specified.
The whole purpose of RFC3697 is then defeated.

Note that intermediate networks have always been free to use FLs for their own
usage PROVIDED they restore received values at exit. This is an internal matter.

The unavoidable choice seems to be between:
a) keep the currently defined purpose (load balancing), improve the
specification (e.g., in substance, with something like the proposed 7 rules),
and thus preserve *backward compatibility*.
b) now permit all traversed networks to freely modify FLs for their own
purposes, and to leave arbitrary FL values at exit, thus *deprecating the
current purpose* and losing backward compatibility.
c) officially deprecate the current purpose, and *reserve FLs for some future
use TBD*

The worse would be not to choose, defeating in practice all purposes.
Discussing the same points over and over again is just a waste of energy.

> While this is certainly the most widespread usage of the FL that we know of
> today, I do not see the value of placing a constraint there.
> But if the use is local and the local network can ensure that the contiguous
> routers that use it do so in a consistent fashion, there's no point telling
> them what they do with it.
>
> You know that in the back of my mind I still wish to use the Flow Label as an
> alternate to the RPL HbH option.
> In a RPL network, we can afford to do load balancing based on classical
> tuple, but we need space for the datapath validation information.
> For all I know, it is a fair usage of the flow label, and this demonstrates
> that there's no one-size-fits-all definition of what to do with it.
>

> In fact, I cannot see how we could agree on a global significance of the
> field at this point so keeping it local makes great sense.

If the choice is to preserve backward compatibility (BTW the choice for which I
vote), I am confident that a consensus can be identified and documented.
The short 7 rules I listed are a tentative to capture what the current best
consensus seems to be (I may be wrong, but it's worth trying).

> What must be ensured is that if a router uses the FL in a certain fashion,
> then the next router understands it or ignores it leaving it untouched.
>
> This means we should:
> - define boundaries where the usage of a field must be consistent (one hop?
> One subnet? ISP boundaries?)
> - allow network-local usages that are open but must be consistent with the
> network boundaries as specified above.
> - propose some such recognized-valid usages (like: source application mapping
> flows or sessions onto FL, routers applying multi-topology routing tag,
> routers applying load balancing tags...)
>
> At the end of the day, we should let the network designer decide what's most
> important for his network.

Sure, but provided standards are still complied after their networks have been
traversed.

> What do you think?

Expressed above.

Regards,