Le 10 sept. 2010 à 21:02, Fernando Gont a écrit :

> Hi, Rémi,
>
>>> As for keeping track of flows, as I've just noted to Steven, this
>>> is a refinement. But you could probably live assuming that all
>>> flows terminate in a period equal to the duration of the flow label
>>> space (i.e., when the flowlabel space wraps and you'd reuse a
>>> flowlabel value, the flow that was previously using that FL value
>>> has already terminated)
>>>
>>> While I've assumed that RFC3697 holds when wrote draft-gont, FL
>>> immutability is not a requirement for the algorithm to work.
>>
>> Note that my proposal doesn't exclude stateful algorithms (no
>> objection to yours in particular). It just authorizes stateless
>> algorithms provided they are adequate for the load-balancing purpose.
>>
> I just wanted to clarify that the algorithm doesn't need additional
> state (as sometimes "state" at layer-3 is deemed as a show-stopper :-) )

>>> I'd make R3 through R5 a "SHOULD NOT.... but if you do, do it this
>>> way". -- but could certainly with your "MAY", as stated.
>>
>> About R3: If part of a network has the ability to identify 5-tuples
>> and to compute FLs, replacing null FLs by non-zero FLs seems to me a
>> completely acceptable choice.
>
> As I said, IMHO your "MAY" is acceptable.

> -- BTW, in R3 omit the
> "generally" ;-)

"Generally" conveys the point that collisions are acceptable provided they are
rare enough.
In my understanding, it has to apply in the same way in R1, R3, and R4.

"Generally differ from a flow to another" was intended to mean "differ from a
flow to another with a good probability" (collisions are permitted, but only
with a low probability).

If the substance is agreed, this should be made clear in resulting drafts.

>> About R4: If part of a network has the ability to identify 5-tuples
>> and to compute good FLs, and has no confidence in upstream provided
>> FLs, I see no objection to its replacing old FLs by supposedly better
>> ones for its own load balancing (and, by the same token, for that of
>> downstream networks that use upstream FLs).
>
> Same as above.
>

>> About R5: I agree that SHOULD NOT would be better, with no objection
>> to adding "unless found strictly necessary..."
>
> I guess that if we make the above "MAY"s, this one could be a MAY, too.

>>> Will give these last two another thought.
>>
>> Look forward to it.
>
> I'd probably specify these last two in a different document, aimed at
> tunnels.

I confirm that, despite my preference for a single document, I have no serious
objection to 2 documents as proposed by Brian.

> However, I'd not that R6 and R7 seem to lead to inconsistency: according
> to R6, the tunnel's FL reflects what's being transferred over the
> tunnel. According to R7, the tunnel's FL characterizes the tunnel itself.

I see.
R7 could be made clearer with something like:
"R7 encapsulating packets that contain null-FL packets to a value that
characterize the tunnel itself for flows of the aggregate that are not
individually identified, and if they don't MUST set these FLs to 0.

Thanks?

Best regards,
RD