Hi, Remi,

> Draft-gont-6man-flowlabel-security is based on the assumption that FL
> values are set as currently specified in RFC 3697, i.e. with a
> *stateful* algorithm that needs to keep track of flow establishments
> and terminations, and with FL immutability.

Note: the only additional "state" in the algorithm is the counter.

As for keeping track of flows, as I've just noted to Steven, this is a
refinement. But you could probably live assuming that all flows
terminate in a period equal to the duration of the flow label space
(i.e., when the flowlabel space wraps and you'd reuse a flowlabel value,
the flow that was previously using that FL value has already terminated)

While I've assumed that RFC3697 holds when wrote draft-gont, FL
immutability is not a requirement for the algorithm to work.

> The best combination I personally get, considering past discussions
> on a potential RFC-3697 revision, is so far as follows:
>
> R1. Packet sources SHOULD set FLs to non-zero values that generally
> differ from a flow to another (e.g. with currently specified stateful
> algorithms, or with n-tuple hashes).
>
> R2. Packet sources MUST set FLs to zero otherwise.
>
> R3. Intermediate nodes MAY replace null FL values by non-zero FL
> values, PROVIDED these non-zero values generally differ from a flow
> to another.
>
> R4. Intermediate nodes MAY replace non-zero FL values by non-zero FL
> values, PROVIDED these non-zero values generally differ from a flow
> to another.
>
> R5. Intermediate nodes MAY replace non-zero FL values by null values
> ONLY IF found necessary for some identified policy-dependent security
> reason (e.g. in some managed firewalls).

I'd make R3 through R5 a "SHOULD NOT.... but if you do, do it this way".
-- but could certainly with your "MAY", as stated.

> R6. Nodes that tunnel flow aggregates SHOULD replicate non-zero FLs
> of encapsulated packets in encapsulating packets.
>
> R7. Nodes that tunnel flow aggregates SHOULD set FLs of encapsulating
> packets that contain null FLs to a value that characterize the tunnel
> itself, and MUST set it to 0 otherwise.

Will give these last two another thought.

Thanks!
--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: ferna...@gont.com.ar || fg...@acm.org