Hi, Rémi,

>> As for keeping track of flows, as I've just noted to Steven, this
>> is a refinement. But you could probably live assuming that all
>> flows terminate in a period equal to the duration of the flow label
>> space (i.e., when the flowlabel space wraps and you'd reuse a
>> flowlabel value, the flow that was previously using that FL value
>> has already terminated)
>>
>> While I've assumed that RFC3697 holds when wrote draft-gont, FL
>> immutability is not a requirement for the algorithm to work.
>
> Note that my proposal doesn't exclude stateful algorithms (no
> objection to yours in particular). It just authorizes stateless
> algorithms provided they are adequate for the load-balancing purpose.

I just wanted to clarify that the algorithm doesn't need additional
state (as sometimes "state" at layer-3 is deemed as a show-stopper :-) )

>>> R1. Packet sources SHOULD set FLs to non-zero values that
>>> generally differ from a flow to another (e.g. with currently
>>> specified stateful algorithms, or with n-tuple hashes).
>>>
>>> R2. Packet sources MUST set FLs to zero otherwise.
>>>
>>> R3. Intermediate nodes MAY replace null FL values by non-zero FL
>>> values, PROVIDED these non-zero values generally differ from a
>>> flow to another.
>>>
>>> R4. Intermediate nodes MAY replace non-zero FL values by non-zero
>>> FL values, PROVIDED these non-zero values generally differ from a
>>> flow to another.
>>>
>>> R5. Intermediate nodes MAY replace non-zero FL values by null
>>> values ONLY IF found necessary for some identified
>>> policy-dependent security reason (e.g. in some managed
>>> firewalls).
>> I'd make R3 through R5 a "SHOULD NOT.... but if you do, do it this
>> way". -- but could certainly with your "MAY", as stated.
>
> About R3: If part of a network has the ability to identify 5-tuples
> and to compute FLs, replacing null FLs by non-zero FLs seems to me a
> completely acceptable choice.

As I said, IMHO your "MAY" is acceptable. -- BTW, in R3 omit the
"generally" ;-)

> About R4: If part of a network has the ability to identify 5-tuples
> and to compute good FLs, and has no confidence in upstream provided
> FLs, I see no objection to its replacing old FLs by supposedly better
> ones for its own load balancing (and, by the same token, for that of
> downstream networks that use upstream FLs).

Same as above.

> About R5: I agree that SHOULD NOT would be better, with no objection
> to adding "unless found strictly necessary..."

I guess that if we make the above "MAY"s, this one could be a MAY, too.

>>> R6. Nodes that tunnel flow aggregates SHOULD replicate non-zero
>>> FLs encapsulated packets in encapsulating packets.
>>>
>>> R7. Nodes that tunnel flow aggregates SHOULD set FLs of
>>> encapsulating packets that contain null FLs to a value that
>>> characterize the tunnel itself, and MUST set it to 0 otherwise.
>> Will give these last two another thought.
>
> Look forward to it.

I'd probably specify these last two in a different document, aimed at
tunnels.

However, I'd not that R6 and R7 seem to lead to inconsistency: according
to R6, the tunnel's FL reflects what's being transferred over the
tunnel. According to R7, the tunnel's FL characterizes the tunnel itself.

Thanks!

Kind regards,
--
Fernando Gont