On Wed, 22 Sep 2010, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010, Arnaud Ebalard wrote:

I never supported RA DNS, I think it is a genuinely bad idea.

And you probably have some arguments to share ...

DHCPv6 stateless seem more suited to put all these options in, DNS is just one (probably the most important one though), and since operating systems seem to handle RA in the kernel and not in userspace, extending RA to do more things is harder than doing it in DHCP (which is generally handled in userspace).

Not necessarily handled in kernel space:
- One of the first *BSD (INRIA) ipv6 implementation handled RA in userspace - Also IBM AIX 4.x handled RA in user space.

Best Regards,
        Janos Mohacsi