Hi Philip,

On 10-10-22 11:01 AM, Philip Homburg wrote:
In your letter dated Fri, 22 Oct 2010 10:45:57 -0400 you wrote:
But now I'm a bit confused. Given that the AN now has to ability to originat
RS messages, why is it forwarding the end-device' RS at all? Is that only to
support SEND?
Exactly. The ability to send host-initiated RSs through is mainly for supporting SEND pass through, as this capability was deemed very important by the WG.

Then I guess the obvious next question is how this interacts with SEND if
the original 3 RS messages are lost.

The AN-initiated RSs in this case will not be SEND protected RSs (since we do not have the host's private key), but the edge router is still free to send SEND protected RAs back to the host in response to this RS. Then the host and the edge router can use SEND for protecting any further ND messages.

Thanks
Suresh