On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Well, I object to drawing anyone's attention to the Appendix of
2460, which is explicitly not part of the standard. And I think
that the main text in 2460 is underspecified, whereas RFC 3697
has proved to be plain confusing. And we don't yet have clear
consenus on 3697bis. Does all this belong in a requirements list?

Which part of 3697 that is relevant to this document is plain confusing? Those that pertain to this spec are IMHO in Section 3 which seems clear enough to me (copied below).

3.  Flow Labeling Requirements

   To enable Flow Label based classification, source nodes SHOULD assign
   each unrelated transport connection and application data stream to a
   new flow.  The source node MAY also take part in flow state
   establishment methods that result in assigning certain packets to
   specific flows.  A source node which does not assign traffic to flows
   MUST set the Flow Label to zero.

   To enable applications and transport protocols to define what packets
   constitute a flow, the source node MUST provide means for the
   applications and transport protocols to specify the Flow Label values
   to be used with their flows.  The use of the means to specify Flow
   Label values is subject to appropriate privileges (see section 5.1).
   The source node SHOULD be able to select unused Flow Label values for
   flows not requesting a specific value to be used.

   A source node MUST ensure that it does not unintentionally reuse Flow
   Label values it is currently using or has recently used when creating
   new flows.  Flow Label values previously used with a specific pair of
   source and destination addresses MUST NOT be assigned to new flows
   with the same address pair within 120 seconds of the termination of
   the previous flow.  The source node SHOULD provide the means for the
   applications and transport protocols to specify quarantine periods
   longer than the default 120 seconds for individual flows.

   To avoid accidental Flow Label value reuse, the source node SHOULD
   select new Flow Label values in a well-defined sequence (e.g.,
   sequential or pseudo-random) and use an initial value that avoids
   reuse of recently used Flow Label values each time the system
   restarts.  The initial value SHOULD be derived from a previous value
   stored in non-volatile memory, or in the absence of such history, a
   randomly generated initial value using techniques that produce good
   randomness properties [RND] SHOULD be used.