In your letter dated Thu, 23 Jun 2011 18:13:31 -0400 you wrote:
>On Jun 23, 2011, at 6:08 PM, Philip Homburg wrote:
>> Ideally, clients use end-to-end crypto to keep themselves secure, but =
>the
>> network still has to be protected against denial of service attacks.
>
>No, strictly speaking the *clients* need to be protected against DoS =
>attacks.   One way to do this is to strongly control multicast on the =
>network.   But the network itself cannot suffer from rogue RA =
>advertisements: it is other clients on the network that suffer.

You are right if we just limit ourselves to RAs. But my comment was meant to
be broader than that.

If a malcious client configures a router's MAC address on his ethernet card
then it is not the clients' faults if L2 switches route traffic to the wrong
port. Same thing if a malicious client uses another client's IP address and
the router gets confused.