Hi Ray,

On 27.09.2011 17:23, Ray Hunter wrote:
> FYI A consortium in the Netherlands have just announced a scheme that is
> planning to link in-car navigation systems with traffic control and
> information systems, and also public transport systems, so that if
> there's a traffic jam and it is going to be faster to take the train
> than drive, the car driver will be redirected to the nearest train
> station. The system should even being able to reserve a car parking spot
> on the fly in advance. They expect a prototype in October. The idea
> being that coordinated transport reduces the need for infrastructure
> spending. And I know of at least one group who have been experimenting
> with car-car and car-infra communication.

All fine and sure, there will be and there are already many applications
inside the car that communicate to or via the Internet. However,
my scenario is that the internal onboard network is not directly
communicating with the Internet. Those dedicated applications
and devices that need to communicate to the outside world may
use a special security gateway. Except the latter, no device
will be directly exposed to the Internet.

Regards,
 Roland