On Sep 27, 2011, at 4:32 PM, Roland Bless wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 27.09.2011 17:54, Warren Kumari wrote:
>>> That doesn't mean all the systems within the car need to speak to
>>> the outside world.  The engine thermometer doesn't care about
>>> traffic or the location of the nearest train station.
>>
>> True, but increasingly automotive telematics are being used / folk
>> want to be able to allow your vehicle to poke the dealership and
>> report that something is wrong / marginal, and then parameters can be
>> adjusted on the fly[0]. Wouldn't it be cool[1] if the thermometer
>> could report to the nearest dealership that the engine is overheating
>> and the dealership could use this information when you come in to
>> diagnose the issue (or, more likely, invalidate your warrantee :-0))
>
> Remote diagnosis is only one potential application, but
> you have to distinguish between the internal network and
> external communications. Remote diagnosis is usually only
> allowed by certain authenticated and authorized trustworthy
> parties, e.g., the manufacturer. As already pointed out,
> we will get a lot of services that depend on the Internet.
> However, these should not endanger the safety of the car.
>
>>> It just needs to tell the dashboard its current read-out.  I
>>> presume those are the kinds of systems the OP was referring to.
>>
>> Yes, and I think that many of the responses come from folk who have
>> seen the same thing claimed about all sorts of things -- and then
>> very soon after that seen those same thing connected to the 'net. For
>> example, my home thermostat and garage door opener both speak IP.
>> When I initial installed them I never figured I'd want them
>> accessible from anywhere other than locally... but it turns out that
>> I do...
>
> IMHO unexpected connectivity of internal devices with the Internet
> is a safety and security nightmare. You definitely don't want that.
> However, some manufacturers already consider open programming platforms
> and an app-based model for some parts of the car, e.g., installing
> additional apps on the head unit. Even if they have only restricted
> access and are treated as untrusted, I think that it will not take long
> until we will see the first exploits on such a platform...

Did you follow the link in my earlier email[0]? : Comprehensive Experimental
Analyses of Automotive Attack Surfaces   --
http://www.autosec.org/pubs/cars-usenixsec2011.pdf
And a vide of same (well worth watching) from USENIX Security:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHfOziIwXic

It's already happened...

[0]: Snarky tone not intended...