On Sep 27, 2011, at 3:15 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

> I also second that motion.
>
> We, I, need something in IPv6 that can perform the same function as RFC 1918.

My earlier comments may have been unclear -- i second (third) the above, but
still believe it is foolish / naive to think, when building or deploying a
network / system that it will never need to talk to the Internet and that its
addresses will never leak.

> Allow me to configure the internal network of each platform (of a given
> model, let's say) the same way exactly. Preferably without having to request
> anything from any registry.  And let me decide what parameters have to be
> assembled and perhaps transmitted globally, by a separate function, through
> an appropriate gateway/firewall, to the Internet (or to the telephone
> network).

Sure.

> Doesn't seem logical to conclude that a NAT would be involved in any of this.
> But even if it is, what's wrong with a "basic NAT," i.e. one that provides a
> simple one to one mapping for a subset of the internal addresses?

IMO, nothing.

> The truth is, IP is used ubiquitously now, in situations where once upon a
> time people used either small scale serial networks, like RS-485, or other
> type of industrial control bus, or even non-networked digital interface like
> MIL-STD-1397. Now IP is taking over those roles too. So we need a
> straightforward way to doing this, with minimal administrative overhead.

Yes. But if folk claim that X network will never leak onto the 'net because
no-one will ever connect it I'm going to go off again on one of my fun little
rants...