On 12/22/11 8:59 AM, Bhatia, Manav (Manav) wrote:
Hi Brian,

5908 uses DHCPv6. We're extending RAs to advertise the NTP info.

I guess it is a little too early and I did not ask my question clearly enough.

Does this RA-based approach provide the exact same information as the RFC 5908 DHCP option? Less info? More info?

Have you considered simply using the multicast-based NTP server discovery in environments where DHCP is not available or providing NTP information?

Regards,
Brian

Cheers, Manav

-----Original Message-----
From: ipv6-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:ipv6-boun...@ietf.org] On
Behalf Of Brian Haberman
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:18 PM
To: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: IPv6 Router Advertisement Option for NTP Server
Configuration

Hi Manav,

On 12/19/11 8:24 PM, Bhatia, Manav (Manav) wrote:
Hi,

We have posted a new draft that extends Router Advertisements to
include information about the one or more NTP servers
present in the
network. This is useful where the delays in acquiring
server addresses
and communicating with the servers are critical (mobile environment
for example).

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bcd-6man-ntp-server-ra-opt-0
0.txt

  Would be great to get some feedback from the WG.

We will also be soliciting comments from the NTP and the TICTOC WGs.

So, as co-chair of both NTP and 6MAN, I would ask how this
draft differs from RFC 5908.

Regards,
Brian