On 22. Dec 2011, at 14:24 , Brian Haberman wrote:

> On 12/22/11 8:59 AM, Bhatia, Manav (Manav) wrote:
>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> 5908 uses DHCPv6. We're extending RAs to advertise the NTP info.
>>

> I guess it is a little too early and I did not ask my question clearly enough.
>
> Does this RA-based approach provide the exact same information as the RFC
> 5908 DHCP option?  Less info?  More info?
>
> Have you considered simply using the multicast-based NTP server discovery in
> environments where DHCP is not available or providing NTP information?

Just seeing the discussion...

+1 for just using MC NTP.  Even just ff02::101 is great for a lot of use
cases already.  Almost wonder if it should be a lose requirement for v6ops
and the CPEs...  Of course more problematic in large campus networks but
configuring all the services on all the routers for RA there is not what
you really want either.

/bz

         Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.