* Fernando Gont:

> Hi, Florian,
>
> On 12/23/2011 07:46 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>>> That aside, I don't know whether e.g. NAT64 or the like used this
>>> (.e.g, whether they are used for transition technologies as envisioned
>>> in RFC 2460). However, it might also be the case that such "atomic
>>> fragments" are generated when communicating through networks that do
>>> not really have a MTU >= 1280. In such scenarios there might be some
>>> for of gateway that sends the ICMPv6 PTB advertising a Next-Hop MTU
>>> smaller than 1280, thus resulting in atomic fragments (such that it's
>>> easier for the "gateway" to fragment the IPv6 packets).
>>
>> Yes, this seems a plausible explanation.  I wouldn't consider this
>> actual use, rather network misconfiguration.
>
> Why?

What Brian said---IPv6 is supposed to have a lower bound on the MTU.
I just don't think it's a good idea to through that out of the window
because there are genuine advantages.

>> In my opinion, we need
>> more evidence that these fragments actually serve a useful purpose.
>>
>>> That aside, there's the proposal by Mark Andrews which would add yet
>>> another use case for these atomic fragments.
>>
>> Not really.  It's a workaround so that stateless IPv6 services are
>> possible, despite this protocol weiredness.
>
> Not sure what you mean.

Without the API change in draft-andrews-6man-force-fragmentation, it is
flat out impossible to server IPv6 traffic in a stateless fashion.  The
stack is required to keep a per-destination cache which records the
necessity of a fragment extension header, even if the application never
sends any packets larger than 1280 bytes.

> Sorry, I cannot see why some packets would require going through a
> translator, while others wouldn't.

The joy of packet switching. 8-)

> That is, if the intended destination is really a v4 node, all packets
> meant to it will go through a translator, If it's not, none will.

If the target is a v4 node, surely the network can just fragment as
needed, and reassemble using the v4 fragmentation information?  That's
why I assumed the actual use case has to be more complicated (such as
translation back to v6).

I'm attempting a reductio ad absurdum here---trying to show that for all
potential use cases of atomic fragments, there are much simpler
alternatives, and the remaining ones are utterly bizarre and not worth
supporting.

--
Florian Weimer                <fwei...@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99