Florian,

On 01/03/2012 05:42 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:

>>> Yes, this seems a plausible explanation.  I wouldn't consider this
>>> actual use, rather network misconfiguration.
>>
>> Why?
>
> What Brian said---IPv6 is supposed to have a lower bound on the MTU.
> I just don't think it's a good idea to through that out of the window
> because there are genuine advantages.

Again: the v6 core spec mentions a possible scenarion in which you might
legitimately receive CIMP PTBs that advertise an MTU smaller than 1280
bytes.

In that case, you're not required to split your packets into fragments
smaller or equal to 1280 bytes, but *are* required to react by including
a Fragment Header in subsequent packets.

>>> In my opinion, we need
>>> more evidence that these fragments actually serve a useful purpose.

>>> Not really.  It's a workaround so that stateless IPv6 services are
>>> possible, despite this protocol weiredness.
>>
>> Not sure what you mean.
>
> Without the API change in draft-andrews-6man-force-fragmentation, it is
> flat out impossible to server IPv6 traffic in a stateless fashion.  The
> stack is required to keep a per-destination cache which records the
> necessity of a fragment extension header, even if the application never
> sends any packets larger than 1280 bytes.

The stack is required to have a Destination Cache, anyway.

>> Sorry, I cannot see why some packets would require going through a
>> translator, while others wouldn't.
>
> The joy of packet switching. 8-)

If a packet is actually destined to the IPv4 world (and hence needs to
go through a translator), it will need to cross one translator, or
another... but *some* translator.

>> That is, if the intended destination is really a v4 node, all packets
>> meant to it will go through a translator, If it's not, none will.
>
> If the target is a v4 node, surely the network can just fragment as
> needed, and reassemble using the v4 fragmentation information?  That's
> why I assumed the actual use case has to be more complicated (such as
> translation back to v6).

Then you'd need the translator to be stateful, such that it can selecct
appropriate Identification values (i.e., not reuse them too quickly).

> I'm attempting a reductio ad absurdum here---trying to show that for all
> potential use cases of atomic fragments, there are much simpler
> alternatives, and the remaining ones are utterly bizarre and not worth
> supporting.

We're not designing for the future. We're *currently* using/seeing
atomic fragments. If you plan to ban them, that comes at the cost of
breaking stuff.

That aside, atomic fragments can be handled as safely as non-fragmented
traffic: *that* was the motivation of the publication of
draft-gont-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont