Hi Brian,

Some tunnels may not be able to provide a 1280 MTU as-seen
by the inner packet, since the outer encapsulating headers
may cause the packet to exceed the path MTU. Especially for
nested encapsulations, a tunnel ingress may be required to
use IPv6 fragmentation in order to convey 1280 and smaller
packets to the tunnel egress. This is effectively a "link-
specific fragmentation and reassembly ... at a layer below
IPv6." IPv6 tunnel fragmentation and reassembly is explained
in RFC2473, and also in draft-templin-intarea-seal:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-intarea-seal-42

SEAL in particular solves the tunnel path MTU problem for
both IPv4 and IPv6 as the outer encapsulation layer.

>    IPv6 requires that every link in the internet have an MTU of 1280
>    octets or greater.  On any link that cannot convey a 1280-octet
>    packet in one piece, link-specific fragmentation and
> reassembly must
>    be provided at a layer below IPv6. [RFC 2460, sectioin 5].

You stopped short quoting the final paragraph of Section 5:

   (i.e., a packet that undergoes translation from IPv6 to IPv4), the
   originating IPv6 node may receive an ICMP Packet Too Big message
   reporting a Next-Hop MTU less than 1280."

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.temp...@boeing.com