On 04  Jan 2012, at 07:17 , Philip Homburg wrote:
> RFC-2460 is from 1998. You are talking about the IPv6 network
> before 1998?  And that resembles todays IPv6 internet in what way?

The network layer is largely the same.  Routing
is largely the same, except that table sizes
always seem to increase.  Certainly transport
protocols are largely the same.  We now have SCTP,
although it seems not yet widely deployed.

I very much hope DNSsec will become much more
widely deployed.  I have spent a fair amount of
energy over the past ~15 years helping to ensure
that [other folks'] DNSsec-related R&D would be
funded.

The bulk of the Internet continues to use IPv4 today,
and probably will for the next decade.  The IPv4
specifications and widely deployed IPv4
implementations both support a 576 byte Link MTU.

So DNSsec will need to work over 576 byte links
just to be deployable in the bulk of the deployed
Internet.  That might be awkward, or sub-optimal,
but it is not a recent development.

> When I set the link MTU of my WAN link to 576,
> VoIP stops working (over IPv4).

Curious.  I know of several deployments of VoIP
over small MTU links.  They work fine using standard
off-the-shelf IETF protocols for VoIP (e.g. SIP, RTP).
So it isn't a protocol problem.

> They have had since 1998 to find a fix for the
> 1280 mimimum MTU problem. It is not my problem.

The Link MTU minimum size is the IETF's problem,
because the IETF is trying to support the whole
globe's networking needs.  IPv4 does so today.
It would be sad if IPv6 could not do so.

Cheers,

Ran