On 03  Jan 2012, at 04:31 , Philip Homburg wrote:
> In your letter dated Mon, 2 Jan 2012 19:21:45 -0500 you wrote:
>> I have been told of real-world IPv6 deployments
>> where the link MTU is smaller than 1280,
>> while the limited link bandwidth makes adding a new
>> segmentation protocol layer impractical.  I believe
>> these account for some of the 576 byte or 512 byte
>> advertised Link MTU sizes in IPv6 PMTU "Too Big"
>> messages that are seen in the real world.
>
> So if you run TCP over such a link then you an get
> extra overhead of more than 60 octets (IPv6 header + TCP header)
> compared to a link with an MTU of 1280.  For UDP
> the amount is about the same (IPv6, fragment header, UDP header).
>
> And you are saying that that sort of overhead
> doesn't warrant finding an unused bit somewhere
> to signal an adaptation layer?

Of course an adaptation layer has various costs
beyond a single bit, but please also consider the
case where there are no unused bits at hand.

I'm saying the folks responsible for such links
tell me they have looked into it in detail, tell me
they looked at the whole problem including all
of the system impacts and costs, and tell me that
they concluded that it was MUCH better to continue
to use IPv6 without adaptation layer overhead.
Reports say their current approach is operationally
very workable (i.e. with the IPv6 Fragment Header)
and that multiple vendors' products work well
in their deployment.

I'll note that RFC-1883, Section 5 specified a
minimum IPv6 Link MTU of 576 octets.  If that
number had not later been changed, then we would
not be having this discussion.

The choice of minimum IPv6 Link MTU is necessarily
somewhat arbitrary.  Different numbers are optimal
for different deployments.  It is merely sad that
the IETF chose such a large number.

The other approach I've heard about being taken
for working over small MTU links is simply to
perform (one-way) IPv6->IPv4 protocol translation,
since IPv4 works natively on links that small.
It seems sad that the IETF decision is pushing
people towards a protocol translation approach.

I can't blame the operations folks responsible
for such deployments; they are simply trying to move
their bits reliably and cost-effectively.

Yours,

Ran