application layer.

I totally agree, but again, application layer will be limited to application
servers. Network devices won't be able to understand the feature.

> How is this a problem? If a phone is attempting to make a VoIP call and
send it through a cell tower
> that doesn't permit it, the call is dropped. If the user can walk a few
minutes to be within range of a
> cell tower that permits VoIP, that should be allowed. Cell coverage is not
wide enough to make an issue
> of this. And, whatever cell service provider doesn't like VoIP would be
free to not allow VoIP on that
> service provider's towers.

It does not allow VoIP calls according to "operation license" which is based
on city, state or region regulations .. my suggestion is that the tower
moves not the user.. search for mobile BTS.

It happens in certain occasions where hundreds of thousands of people head
to the same area at the same time to attend some sort of event, so operators
move mobile BTSs to the location of the event for a day or two... in  this
case the operator needs to put configuration that reflects the agreement
with the state/city or region .. it could be much easier if geo-location is
involved in the game, not at the user's end but only between routers.

> I'm not sure what this means. Are you suggesting that if an individual ISP
decides to upgrade his
> network, the government could come in and prevent him from offering the
extra bandwidth, based on the
> location of specific users? I'm sorry, but again going to suggest that
application layer solutions, e.g.
> configuration settings by the ISP on each of its routers, would best be
used in this case too.

Nope, I am assuming that the operator could manage bandwidth based on
estimated population, static configuration on the router would be ideal if
the router is fixed, but what if the router is mobile.

Ammar