Hello Albert,

> If a router is to be installed in a repressive country, then it is
certainly possible to have whatever layer 3-7 filters implemented in that
router, as just such filters are implemented in "firewalls." Or, if an
Internet site wants to serve customers with special location-based apps,
they can certainly do so without having to impact the IETF standards (either
by requiring GPS input into the app, or by asking the user to provide his
location).

How would you know if a mobile router crossed the city or country boarders,
so you can change the "firewall" rules? it could be very short distance in
terms of physical locations and defiantly won't be reflected on topology.
and it's not about firewalls in repressive countries, it's about
classification and marking where you can implement location-based policies
like QoS, ACL, routing .. etc.

> It just seems unwise, to say the least, to build this feature directly
into layer 3 or 4 protocols, where it becomes ubiquitous, and where the user
is not in control of it.

Today locations are assigned to IP addresses without user awareness or
control, everytime I do ip-lookup query I find myself in a different city
because I am connected to a different ISP which has it's IP subnet
registered to a different area. I remember few years ago when there were
sanctions on Iraq, people used to download software updates through VSAT as
their IP address shows Germany or Netherlands.

I am suggesting to make locations more accurate and controlable through OS
and network devices, exactly like IP addressess (user can change it's IP
address and router can also modify the header information in case it's
required).

> Or, if a group wants to develop a location-based routing protocol, they
can certainly do so, without forcing this information to impact IETF
standards.

I totally understand, appreciate and highly recognize your efforts to
safeguard IETF standards, i wish you guys the best of luck and looking
forward to see more promissing projects.

Thank you,
Ammar