Interesting how politics manages to enter into everything.

It doesn't matter what the original intent might have been. Such schemes would
immediately facilitate all manner of control that could, and undoubtedly would,
easily be abused. Therefore, if precise location is to be provided, this is
best done in a way that can be switched off by the users. At the application
layer, for example.

In the US, this same discussion occurred with respect to having GPS location
provided by cell phones. Of course the intent was personal safety (e.g.
location of individual if he dialed 911, the emergency number in the US).
However the feature could also easily be abused. Hence the debate. Users should
be allowed control over that feature.

> It's about implementing regulations, for example,
> certain
> regions does not allow VoIP calls over GSM/GPRS network.

How is this a problem? If a phone is attempting to make a VoIP call and send it
through a cell tower that doesn't permit it, the call is dropped. If the user
can walk a few minutes to be within range of a cell tower that permits VoIP,
that should be allowed. Cell coverage is not wide enough to make an issue of
this. And, whatever cell service provider doesn't like VoIP would be free to
not allow VoIP on that service provider's towers.

> And it's not only filtering and restrictions, location-based Bandwidth
> Management could mean (for the sake of example) you assign Bandwidth
> based
> on area population rather than router's uplink.

I'm not sure what this means. Are you suggesting that if an individual ISP
decides to upgrade his network, the government could come in and prevent him
from offering the extra bandwidth, based on the location of specific users? I'm
sorry, but again going to suggest that application layer solutions, e.g.
configuration settings by the ISP on each of its routers, would best be used in
this case too.

Whether or not there are sound, legitimate reasons to implement such precise
user location solutions, this must not be done in such a way that it becomes so
intrinsic to IPv6 that user control of the feature becomes necessarily removed.
In my opinion, of course.

Bert