> There is also the question of availability of DHCP software on smaller
> platforms which have no SIM card.  It may be easier to do this with ND
> in smaller settings.

The obvious conclusion to this argument is that a *lot* of DHCP
functionality will be duplicated in ND. Is this where we want to go?

I'm coming from the DHCP side of the argument. In my world DHCP is
needed because it gives you a single place to handle dynamic address
allocation, *and* it ties in with all sorts of support & backend
systems.

I am against adding lots of new ND functionality until we have DHCPv6
that is considerably more feature complete. Some of this is probably
coming (client MAC address), some of it is still being opposed for
mostly religious reasons (e.g. running DHCP without RA).

Steinar Haug, AS 2116