Hello, Fred,

2012-12-19 01:35, Fred Baker (fred) <f...@cisco.com> :

> Why do we care about u and g in the first place? Is there code in an IPv6
> router or host that interprets them?

The current situation is AFAIK the following:
(a) No RFC implies behaviors that differ depending on whether g=0 or g=1 in
received IIDs.
(b) On the contrary, in the SLAAC privacy extension of RFC 4941, which has u=0,
addresses can be unicast although they have g=1. The IEEE semantic of group
addresses must explicitly be ignored in this case.
(c) In the Identifier-Locator Network Protocol of RFC 6741 (ILNP), the IEEE
semantic of g=0 applies to unicast addresses (section 3). Besides, "ILNP uses
IPv6 multicast for ILNPv6", which implies that addresses are not concerned with
IID formats (RFC 4291 sec 2.7).  Other formats are envisaged but explicitly
depend on further work. The u=g=1 remains unused.

Regards,
RD