Le 04/04/2013 03:18, Manfredi, Albert E a écrit :
-----Original Message----- From: ipv6-boun...@ietf.org
[mailto:ipv6-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Michael Richardson

If I can derive the VIN from the prefix, I agree that it helps
identify the vehicle, but not really.  If any of this stuff is
going to be useful, there will already be a collision avoidance
protocol that will tell each car (even when they are parked) where
the other vehicles are, so that they can be avoided.

If I can rederive the prefix from the VIN, then it seems we also
have problems.

What I'm saying is that I don't think that there are *new* privacy
problems here.

I would agree with that comment, but then again, I don't see any
compelling reason (nor any advantage) to use the VIN in the IPv6
address anyway. So privacy concerns or no, I would reiterate my
suggestion that if the VIN is used, it be used as part of a DNS
name, rather than an integral part of the address.

Some applications involving the use of VIN may have been discussed.

One requirement may come from V2V communications when infrastructure is
not available: how to know the IP address of the seen vehicle when DNS
is unavailable.

Other requirement of using parts of the VIN would be remote software
update: extract the field of the VIN which represents Manufacturer ID,
make an IPv6 multicast group of it, and send the update accordingly.

These are just ideas having been floated in various contexts.

VIN-to-IPv6-InterfaceIdentifier is just one little thing which could or
not could not work.

Alex

Bert