    Doug> | If I can derive the VIN from the prefix, I agree that it helps
    Doug> | identify the vehicle, but not really.

    Doug> So if I know the VIN number of the vehicle I'm interested in, all I
    Doug> have to do is get on the network and figure out where it's originating
    Doug> its traffic from, and now I can dramatically narrow down its location,
    Doug> if not pinpoint it with a high degree of accuracy.

You just assumed that the VIN-derived prefix traffic is on the
"network", but repeatedly, I say that most of it is inside of the
vehicle.

And I'm saying that knowing the VIN doesn't significantly *help* you
find the vehicle, you can find it *without the VIN*.

If you are a party that has access to the VIN database, you likely are a
state actor, and you also have access to the VIN to OmniStar mapping and
a court, and you could just serve a warrant on OmniStar or the
manufacturer or whomever you like.

    Doug> I've run out of adjectives to describe how bad of an idea this is. I
    Doug> find it hard to believe that you're not seeing the problems
    Doug> here.

    Doug> | If any of this stuff is going to be useful, there will already be a
    Doug> | collision avoidance protocol that will tell each car (even when
    Doug> | they are parked) where the other vehicles are, so that they can be
    Doug> | avoided.

    Doug> I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

That's the problem.  You have no idea what I'm talking about, but you
keep repeating the same thing about how you can do all this magic.  I
keep saying, "it's not magic, it's much worse than you are saying, and
we can do all of this without knowing the VIN mapping"

If you want location privacy, you have to avoid disclosing your location
to the Internet.  Thinking that hiding the VIN will give that to you is
just security through obscurity.

]     m...@sandelman.ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [