If these comms are tactical, I would go to something more like 802.11 ad-hoc
network, and do the comms at layer 2. Alternatively, the vehicle can use its
assigned IPv6 /64 prefix (which need not be related to anything specific like a
VIN), and then use MANET. Seems built to order for MANET, no?

> Other requirement of using parts of the VIN would be remote software
> update: extract the field of the VIN which represents Manufacturer ID,
> make an IPv6 multicast group of it, and send the update accordingly.

For that, I would way prefer using the VIN as part of a DNS name, which is then
mapped to the IP address of the vehicle. This makes the problem more amenable
to flexible solutions, like allowing the IP address prefix to be changed
periodically, or allowing the vehicle ID to be associated in any number of
ways, other than just a VIN.

By the way, this vehicle application of IPv6 is another example that makes me
kringe about the waste of even IPv6 address space, when we continue to
discourage the use of longer than 64-bit prefixes.

Bert