Just as a side FYI, my homenet attachment IP changes every time I reboot the
ADSL modem. So even this would not matter greatly, *if* the unique ID of a car
were a DNS entry, rather than hardcoded in the IP address in any way.

Your point about having multiple IPv6 subnets (prefixes) inside the car is a
good one. But it can be solved like it is for home nets, as long as we don't
run out of the shortened prefixes we're creating.

Side note:

Seems to me, with new applications like these IoT concepts (which are nothing
new, but promise way more addressable hosts than we might have expected in the
1990s when IPv6 was invented), or vehicles, that allowing for something like
112-bit prefixes would be a good thing. You still get 16-bit IIDs, way more
than you are likely to need in a single in-car subnet, and you can assign the
individual car a 96-bit prefix. Giving each car the possibility of 64K subnets,
while wasting far less address space.

I kringe at wanton waste.

Bert