On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 3:13 AM, Michael Richardson
<mcr+i...@sandelman.ca> wrote:
<snip>

> If I can derive the VIN from the prefix, I agree that it helps identify
> the vehicle, but not really.  If any of this stuff is going to be
> useful, there will already be a collision avoidance protocol that will
> tell each car (even when they are parked) where the other vehicles are,
> so that they can be avoided.
>
> If I can rederive the prefix from the VIN, then it seems we also have
> problems.
>
>     What I'm saying is that I don't
>     think that there are *new*
>     privacy problems here.

it's nothing really new with VIN's and IPv6, it's more that we again
was on the way of doing what has been done before and considered a not
so good idea. Doing 1 to 1 match between a hardware address and an
IPv6 address, and add meaning into the IPv6 address instead of
treating it for what it is, just an address that should be generated
somehow other than directly from a hardware address.

That it also has a privacy side issue with it don't make it any
better. Plenty of suggestion on how that can be used have been
mention.

--

Roger Jorgensen           | ROJO9-RIPE
rog...@gmail.com          | - IPv6 is The Key!