> From: ipv6-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:ipv6-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of
> Alexandru Petrescu

> Yes, the ULA prefix (RFC 4193 section 3.2.2) generates a 48bit prefix
> randomly.  That suggested algorithm is seeded by time, EUI-64 into a
> key, and then SHA-1.
>
> > Anyway.. the idea is that you randomize the prefix...
>
> Yes.  We may need to say how.
>
> Just saying RNG may not be enough, I dont know.

I really don't put much weight on this. It's just one suggestion. I dare say,
pick a decent PRNG, pick a seed out of the air, and for all intents and
purposes, you have your ULA prefix. After all, this use of ULA is only for
in-vehicle comms, and should not transit through any car-Internet router.
Randomness is only a safety net, in case a ULA sneaks out of the local router.

I don't think we should tie the VIN or any EUI-64 strictly to this idea of
using ULAs.

> Also, that Network mobility doesnt prohibit neither suggests that the
> prefix of a moving network (MNP: Mobile Network Prefix) be exchanged
> between two distinct moving networks such as to establish routes
> between
> them (route exchange).

Well, I have a question about this. I've seen mobility done in a number of
ways. Move individual interfaces, using the home agent approach; move entire
address blocks, where the routing protocol keeps track of subnet location; or
use a link layer that always ties the moving subnet(s) to the same geographic
location "back home," making the job easier for the IP layer.

Added to this, for a vehicle scenario, we may (probably will) also need
something along the lines of 802.11 ad-hoc networks, for those tactical car-car
and car-road comms.

In principle, can't a combination of all of these schemes be used in vehicles?
For instance, if your IP service is the type that replaces the OnStar scheme
(used by GM in the US), a lot of that information is not overly time
constrained. And since OnStar is a 3G system, it "knows" what each client's
home network is.

> The random part of the ULA may be needed for inter-vehicle
> communications.  I.e. use fd00:fef2:3214::/64 inside one vehicle,
> and fd00:fff2:3214::/64 in the other vehicle.  Use no prefix on the
> ad-hoc link between the two egress interfaces of the mobile router (use
> their link-local addresses there).
>
> If those two prefixes were not random, then collision between prefixes
> may occur the moment the routes are exchanged between the vehicles.

No, I would not contaminate the Internet deliberately this way. It seems to me
that each car should be assigned a /64 prefix which is globally unique, for
this sort of use. Just like every household. I really don't see why this type
of inter-car communications should be thought of as any different from home
nets. And again, the mobility aspect can be resolved in at least two different
ways that I believe to be in common use already.

Bert